You think you know a guy...

You think you know a guy...  I mean I've been married to the guy for over 20 years.  Then suddenly, while we were getting ready for our walk/run this morning, he walks in the room holding up what look like a pair of spandex bicycle shorts.  They are completely unfamiliar to me.  I assumed it was unclaimed laundry from the basement ( it happens a lot around these parts living with 12 teenagers).  Steve's face is alight with delight as he excitedly exclaims, "Look Honey, it's my old baseball sliding shorts!"  He goes on to show me the pocket in the front to hold the athletic cup.  It's like he's reunited with an old friend.  "Wow" is my only response at this point.  Then I ask, "when did you get those?"  He takes a moment to think back and responds, "When I was 15!"  Wait, what?!  "You've had these 'sliding shorts' since you were 15??"  He responds with, "You never know when you might need sliding shorts!  Look did you see the pocket for the cup... "  I am utterly stunned at this moment.  I start to realize if he is standing in our bathroom in Cameroon holding up these dingy grey 'sliding shorts' then he has been purposeful in packing them.  I asked if these sliding shorts were in France with us.  He responded with a yes.  I asked if they lived in our closet in Gabon and he responded yes again.  I am flabbergasted.  My husband of 20 years has managed to hold on to these things for our entire marriage and I knew nothing about them.  I never happened upon them in our laundry or in packing multiple times.  Yet these sliding shorts have traversed continents with us!!  Then I remember he has lost his wedding ring 2 times.  He can hold onto glorified underwear for 28 years but is on his 3rd wedding ring?!  I bring this factoid up to him and he responds somewhat exasperated, "Well you don't have to take off sliding shorts while working on airplanes do you?!"  Indeed you do not.  While on our walk I bring up his sliding shorts he is happily wearing and ask if this is the first time in over 20 years he has worn them.  He tells me he wore them the other day for the first time since his teens.  "It cuts down on the chaffing! and they are Mizuno!"  I guess you learn something new everyday.  Well today I learned 2 new things, Mizuno are the NIKE of baseball apparel.  Bonus!

Comments

Steve said…
Is my fidelity being mocked here?!? I get a sense that is what is happening… By the way… they're WHITE, not gray… just saying.
Unknown said…
wow, I would be shocked too, if my husband pulled out something from when he was 15 that I knew nothing about, that wasn't useful enough to be worn for that many years yet taken overseas. kudos for being about to fit into them Steve, maybe if you had washed them more than once every 20 years they would still be white.
Lost in York said…
Umm... You both have done what very few others have ever done... I'm speechless. Sliding shorts. In Cameroon. So odd. I would like to add that I'm very glad they don't need to be removed before airplane repairs. THAT would be scary.
Anonymous said…
WOW! Gary and I were just talking about how laughter is one of the pillars in our marriage and one of the things which keep us growing! 40 years this year and sounds like you guys are on the same path! I think it is wonderful that you are still surprised by Steve!

Nancy Sterner
Anna said…
That's hilarious! My Stephen said he completely understands. :)
Anna said…
That's hilarious! My Stephen said he completely understands. :)

Popular posts from this blog

COVID 19 positive in the remote equatorial rainforest

to mask or not to mask...